Sunday, October 26, 2008

Bring Back My Mother

"I’ve been a good son to my mother. To me she has been a good Mom. But since she has joined that Society Oh, listen to what she’s become!

(Chorus) Bring back, bring back, oh bring back my mother to me, to me. Bring back, bring back, oh, bring back my mother to me!

She used to wear beige woolly sweaters and spend her life caring for me But now she goes decked out in purple, In great giggling gangs to take tea.

She used to have one hat, in navy. But now she's got dozens in red, crimson and scarlet and ruby; And my train set's been moved to the shed!

She used to spend hours with housework. Her nick-nacks arranged in neat rows. But now she wears fluffy red boas And leaves feathers wherever she goes.

She used to like watching Soap Operas. Sometimes for excitement she'd knit; But now she runs sticks along railings And I think she is learning to spit!

She used to be happy at Christmas With an iron, or a nice set of pans; But now she wants sparkly tiaras And big gaudy rings for each hand.

Her friends were called Jerrie and Virginia and she didn’t mind staying at home; But now we get Queen Merry Maker and Queen of Pizzzazzz on the phone!

She used to wear sensible brassieres. Her undies weren’t fancy or gay. Now her bras are of lace and red satin And I hope it's not true what they say (gasp!).

Well, if you can't beat them, then join them. You might as well follow the crowd. But when I turned up at the teashop, they all shouted,"NO BOYS ARE ALLOWED!"

Bring back, bring back. Oh, Bring back my Mother to me, to me.
Bring back, bring back. Oh, Bring back my Mother to me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello - I am the author of that song and I'm glad you like it. But though I'm happy to have it reproduced by fellow hatters, I need to be credited and it should be reproduced correctly.

Please add a note to say:
"(c) Jenny Howard 2006
May be used by registered chapters of the Red Hat Society for non-commercial purposes. Please include this note when copying."


Thanks. Could you tell whoever you got it from if they didn't have the note?

And I'm sorry to sound fussy, but some of the words aren't correct - I appreciate you've had to make some changes for an American audience, but some of the changes mean the lines don't scan and some are just not what I wrote.
1) It's 'prinked out in purple' not 'decked' - the alliteration is important
2)There should be "She's got" after "dozens in red"
3) "Hours doing" housework not "with"
4) ""tea-towels" not "nick-nacks" - I wanted her to sound really obsessive.
5) "twenty-two" rings, not "big gaudy". I want it to be really over the top.
6) "She didn't mind staying at home" is not in my song at all - that verse is about her friends' names, so if you have to change them to make them sound like American old-lady names you still need enough to fill out the verse.
7) Definitely "were baggy and grey" not "weren't fancy or gay" though you can have 'undies' if 'knickers' doesn't make sense.

Again, sorry to carp, but this is my song and to protect myself I have to make sure I'm credited wherever my work is published and I have to make sure that if it's copied it's copied correctly. Thanks.

Jenny Howard
Daft Old Bats
Bedfordshire
England

Followers